Lessons for new Vertica developer

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

chintan_floydian

Lessons for new Vertica developer

Post by chintan_floydian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:09 am

Hi,
We are currently exploring using Vertica for a new development. Can anyone please share some lessons/tutorial available as a starting point for developers?
Also any installation and configuration options would be well appreciated

Regards,
CG

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lessons for new Vertica developer

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi CG,

Welcome to the forums!

Do you have access to the Vertica documentation? If so, developers should read the concepts guide, programmer's guide and use the SQL Reference Manual as needed.

We started with a MySQL database and moved it into Vertica. The hardest part was dealing with the differences in data types. For instance, when declaring a column to be an integer you don't specify the size:

Code: Select all

dbadmin=> CREATE TABLE test (col1 INT(10));
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "(" at character 27
LINE 1: CREATE TABLE test (col INT(10));
                                  ^
dbadmin=> CREATE TABLE test (co11 INT);
CREATE TABLE
I'll try to give examples throughout the forums of any issues that we've encountered during the migration of our database. Please check back often! If you have any particular questions please ask.

We're in the process of tuning Vertica so I'll be posting a lot about this process also.

Thanks
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

fsalvelt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Lessons for new Vertica developer

Post by fsalvelt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:39 am

I am very new to Vertica too! It would be very nice if more experiences users would post some "Lessons" for us newbs :D They'd be greatly appreciated!
Thank, Fred

Return to “New to Vertica”