identity columns

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

usao

identity columns

Post by usao » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:56 pm

Ive been experimenting with the identity settings and had some questions.
I have a table with 1.5 billion records in IQ that I need to move to Vertica. It makes use of an identity column.
In my testing so-far, when I specify "identity(1,1,1)" I get the correct identity values migrated from IQ to Vertica, however, it takes approx 24 hours to load 6M records. That would translate into an approx 8-month load time for the full 1.5B records, which is obviously not going to work.
When I increase the cache value, I get much better load times, but I would need to go to "identity(1,1,1500000000) in order to get the correct values to load.
Is there any downside to using such a large cache value for this column? Does it consume un-necessary resources or cause other issues that I may not be aware of?
Alternativly, is there a way to change the "cache" value after I load the table and go back to a "identity(1,1,1)" setting after the back-fill is completed?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: identity columns

Post by JimKnicely » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:39 pm

Check out the link "How Vertica Allots Cache for Sequencing":

https://my.vertica.com/docs/8.1.x/HTML/ ... encing.htm

Having a large CACHE does consume more memory on each node, and if a node goes down, you could potentially lose a lot of sequential values.

You can change the CACHE of the sequence used by the IDENTITY:

dbadmin=> create table test (c identity(1,1,1500000000), c1 varchar(10));
CREATE TABLE

dbadmin=> select sequence_name, session_cache_count from sequences where identity_table_name = 'test';
sequence_name | session_cache_count
---------------+---------------------
test_c_seq | 1500000000
(1 row)

dbadmin=> alter sequence test_c_seq cache 5000;
ALTER SEQUENCE

dbadmin=> select sequence_name, session_cache_count from sequences where identity_table_name = 'test';
sequence_name | session_cache_count
---------------+---------------------
test_c_seq | 5000
(1 row)
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “New to Vertica”