Development Manager/Architect – Analytics Team, Server Platform
HP Vertica seeks a Software Development Manager/Architect in Cambridge, MA to guide the development of APIs and analytic algorithms within a commercially successful, high-performance distributed database.
This is your opportunity to impact the development of the state-of-the-art analytic techniques for processing terabytes of data in an extremely efficient manner. You will own a key product area and manage and grow a team of expert engineers. You will guide and contribute to a design and implementation of algorithmic and API extensions to the core database engine. You will coordinate the work of your team with other parts of the organization and facilitate resolution of challenging systems integration and scalability problems. If you are a hands-on technical leader who likes managing, motivating, and growing high-performance development teams, then this is the job for you!
• Oversee the software development and integration of analytics components and APIs within the HP Vertica Database.
• Provide technical guidance by defining architecture and implementation choices for the system, and by providing spec and code reviews
• Work with Product Managers, Support Engineers, and customers to determine requirements for new features, resolve customer problems, and facilitate integration efforts with other product teams and third-party vendors.
• Facilitate career growth of the team members by providing regular mentoring and ongoing feedback to the team; conduct annual performance reviews
• Help grow the team by attracting top-notch talent and coordinating hiring.
An ideal candidate must:
• Have a PhD (preferred) or a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, or related field, plus at least 5 years of experience in software development and technical management.
• Possess hands-on experience with and a deep understanding of analytics products or distributed systems (having both is a plus!).
• Be technically savvy with Linux and C/C++ systems software and capable of quickly establishing credibility and rapport with sharp developers.
• Have a proven track record of execution and results in a fluid, fast-paced environment.
• Have managed software development of complex systems software such as file systems, operating systems, databases, networking systems or similar products.
• Possess strong project management skills in an iterative development model.
• Be comfortable running a team of 6-10 people in a fluid, start-up like environment.
• Have a desire to maintain and enhance a culture of high standards and “getting things done” with a sense of urgency and high quality.
Working directly with the hiring managers. This is a CRUCIAL role for them to fill!! Call with any questions 617-219-9302