Handling Backslash Escape Characters

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Handling Backslash Escape Characters

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:20 am

In computing and telecommunication, an escape character is a character which invokes an alternative interpretation on subsequent characters in a character sequence. The typical escape character used is the backslash character.

Vertica uses standard conforming strings as specified in the SQL standard, which means that backslashes are treated as string literals, not escape characters.

But what if I want backslashes to be treated as an escape character? One way is to turn off standard conforming strings!

Example:

The “\n” escape sequence typically is translated into a new line character. But in Vertica, by default it’s treated literally as “\n”.

Code: Select all

dbadmin=> SELECT 'New\nLine';
?column?
-----------
New\nLine
(1 row)
If I want the backslash to be treated as an escape character I could set the STANDARD_CONFORMING_STRINGS variable to OFF. It’s ON by default.

dbadmin=> SET standard_conforming_strings TO off;
SET

WARNING 4168:  Nonstandard use of escape in a string literal at or near "'New\n" at character 8
HINT:  Use the escape string syntax for escapes, e.g., E'\r\n'
?column?
----------
New
Line
(1 row)
Notice that a new line appears in the output of the query, but what’s up with that ugly warning? We can get rid of that nonsense by setting the ESCAPE_STRING_WARNING variable to OFF. It’s ON by default.

dbadmin=> SET escape_string_warning TO off;
SET

?column?
----------
New
Line
(1 row)
Have fun!
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “Vertica Tips, Lessons and Examples”