change active partition (v8.1.1)

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

theDataGuy

change active partition (v8.1.1)

Post by theDataGuy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I have a large table partitioned by year which I am constantly trickle-loading data into for the current year, 2017, and therefore always need the current year to be the active partition. But if I attempt to backload data for a year that doesn't currently exist in the partition (2014, for example), then the active partition changes to the "newest" year of data loaded, 2014. This eventually causes problems like lengthy mergeouts, high ROS container count, etc.

My question is, does anyone know a way to force a change in active partition key on a partitioned table? In this case, I want to change it back to current year. Or maybe have a better solution that I haven't thought of?

Thanks.

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: change active partition (v8.1.1)

Post by JimKnicely » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Hii,

This is a current feature request that is coming soon! I'll update this thread when I find out which of the upcoming releases will have it!

Thanks!
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

BobRis

Post by BobRis » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

JimKnicely wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:29 pm
Hii,

This Money Mutual review is a current feature request that is coming soon! I'll update this thread when I find out which of the upcoming releases will have it!

Thanks!
Hi Jim, was this feature implemented yet? I'm considering starting using the new version and if this feature is in, I'm sold.
Last edited by BobRis on Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi,

You can now set the Active Partition Count at the table level.

See:
https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.1.x/HTML ... itions.htm

From the doc:
Note: For tables partitioned by non-temporal attributes, set its active partition count to reflect the number of partitions that are subject to a high level of activity—for example, frequent loads or queries.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Ghenn

Post by Ghenn » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:23 pm

JimKnicely wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:46 pm
Hi,

You can now set the Active Partition Count at the table level.

See:
https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.1.x/HTML ... itions.htm

From the doc:
Note: For tables partitioned by non-temporal attributes, set its active partition count to reflect the number of partitions that are subject to a high level of activity—for example, frequent loads or queries.
Thanks for sharing!

Return to “General”