Location of Vertica files on disk (Linux)

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

syehling

Location of Vertica files on disk (Linux)

Post by syehling » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Is there a recommended configuration for the location of the Vertica components on disk (Linux)?
Should the product/binaries, datafiles and catalog files be located on separate mount points?
as an example...
/opt/vertica (product directories, binaries, etc.)
/data (database datafiles)
/catalog (database catalog)

What is the best approach?

Thanks!

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Re: Location of Vertica files on disk (Linux)

Post by NorbertKrupa » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:07 pm

In a DL380 Gen9 24-SFF config, product goes on OS drives with the catalog. The data piece uses the remaining 22 drives.

See Prepare Disk Storage Locations and Configuring the HP DL380.

From the DL380 guide:
An HP Vertica installation requires at least two storage locations―one for the operating system and catalog, and the other for data. Place these data locations on a dedicated, contiguous-storage volume.
Place the HP Vertica data location on a dedicated physical storage volume. Do not co-locate the HP Vertica data location with the HP Vertica catalog location. Hewlett-Packard recommends that the HP Vertica catalog location on an HP Vertica node on a DL380 Gen9 24-SFF server be the operating system drive. You do not need to perform any special operating system/HP Vertica catalog drive configuration or tuning.
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Location of Vertica files on disk (Linux)

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:13 pm

Also:
  • The optimal Vertica server deployment will have the CATALOG and DATA on separate volumes (ideally separate arrays). The reasoning is that the CATALOG I/O pattern tends to be small write operations while the DATA I/O pattern tends to be large (1MB) read operations.
  • It's common to let the CATALOG share the same logical volume as that of the OS. But note that the CATALOG volume is where vertica.log and CopyErrorLogs resides by default. In the event that the CATALOG volume is small, as may be the case with the OS volume, these logs should be rotated regularly.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “General”