Geospatial Analysis on Shapefile of Longitude and Latitude Data Using Vertica: Hurricane Bonnie - Blog Post

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Geospatial Analysis on Shapefile of Longitude and Latitude Data Using Vertica: Hurricane Bonnie - Blog Post

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Posted on Monday, August 7th, 2017 at 1:51 pm.
This blog post was authored by Ginger Ni.

Like any natural disaster, hurricanes can leave behind extensive damage to life and property. The question asked by NGOs, government agencies, and insurance companies is, “How can we predict the locations where a storm will inflict the most damage?” Modern spatial analysis enables us to predict the impact of disasters in high-risk areas and enable these groups to effectively allocate their resources.

Vertica enables you to analyze location data efficiently and accurately in your database. Here we will show you how to gain insight into real-world challenges using your spatial data with Vertica. In this example, we will perform a point-in-polygon analysis to identify properties that fall within the impact zone of a hurricane. This analysis will identify the areas most affected by a hurricane and visualize them on a heat map.

Continue reading here:
https://my.vertica.com/blog/geospatial- ... ne-bonnie/
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “Vertica Links”