Setting up SQuirreL

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Setting up SQuirreL

Post by JimKnicely » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Some folks at my company are using the SQuirreL client tool to connect to Vertica.

Here is a link to a great blog post by Tom Gendron that'll help you set up SQuirreL:
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

piglet
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Setting up SQuirreL

Post by piglet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Why doesn't Vertica release a GUI client we can use?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Probably because they're an analytic database platform provider :) There are already a number of free graphical client tools that can be used to access the data. Try one of them.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

DataWhisperer

Post by DataWhisperer » Sat May 12, 2012 8:59 am

Has anyone else had issues w/ time and timezones using SQuirreL?

We use it extensively, but have a few people in different timezones and of course SQuirreL localizes the time to them. Normally I don't care, but it's doing this to the TIME data-type, which is unacceptable. It's treating it like TIMETZ which the value is not.

They are on GMT/BST and the rest of us are on CET/CEST with the servers in CET/CEST (and all date/times stored as UTC). They are also on Windows 7, we're all on Ubuntu 11.04.

Rather confusing and frustrating.

id10t
GURU
GURU

Post by id10t » Sun May 13, 2012 7:21 am

Hi, Jim and @all

Did you try DBeaver? IMHO much better than SQuirreL.

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Mon May 14, 2012 12:32 pm

I've been using DbVisualizer, unless I need to export data to an Excel spreadsheet directly. For that I use Toad for Data Analysts Beta 3.1. It has a great feature to allow you to export directly to Excel and even to new worksheets within an open workbook.

I'll give DBeaver a try today. Thanks for letting us know about it.

On an aside, how come all these tools are named after animals? Hmm. I guess I did the same thing with the blue alligator :) It must just be cool to do that.
Jim Knicely

greeness

Post by greeness » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 am

This is alligator, not Kangaroo? :)
knicely87 wrote: I guess I did the same thing with the blue alligator :) It must just be cool to do that.

Return to “SQuirreL SQL Client”