Unble to stop & start the vertica database

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

Roopalini

Unble to stop & start the vertica database

Post by Roopalini » Mon May 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi Forum,

I installed Vertica 7.0 on Linux redhat (3 nodes) and the installation was successful. However when I tried to log in using dbadmin user, I got an invalid password error. Since I had to first log in using dbadmin even to reset it's password , I followed the below article to reset the password ( Using the admintools -> option 6 and then option 5 Edit authentication). I was able to reset the dbadmin password. Again I edited the authentication file and tried to stop and start the DB for the changes to take effect and I constantly was getting an error that password is incorrect. I am now unable to stop the DB. Is there a way to force stop the DB without the password.

http://www.interworks.com/blogs/jvarner ... rd-vertica

Roopalini

Re: Unble to stop & start the vertica database

Post by Roopalini » Tue May 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Can someone please help me on this?

scutter
Master
Master

Re: Unble to stop & start the vertica database

Post by scutter » Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 pm

Presumably the WOS is empty at this point and you’re not at risk of losing data (you can confirm via the ‘system’ table). You can kill the vertica processes at the command line from the dbadmin os account, using sudo, or as root. Send them a -TERM signal to shut them down gracefully, or if all else fails, send them a -9 signal.

—Sharon
Sharon Cutter
Vertica Consultant, Zazz Technologies LLC

Return to “New to Vertica Database Administration”