Memory used by idle session

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

becky
Intermediate
Intermediate

Memory used by idle session

Post by becky » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi!

Is there a way to determine the amount of a host's system resources an orphan/zombie session is wasting in the DB? It seems a reporting tool we are using isn;t closing sessions :(
THANKS - BECKSTER

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Re: Memory used by idle session

Post by NorbertKrupa » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:55 pm

The only way I could think of is to have global query profiling enabled, then match the statement from executing requests to the profile.
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

scutter
Master
Master

Post by scutter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm

Idle sessions - as in not executing any statements? Idle sessions don’t use any memory. Memory is allocated at the start of query execution, and is released when the query completes. The idle session would count towards your MaxClientSessions maximum.

For determining memory being used by running queries, you can look in QUERY_REQUESTS (memory_acquired_mb) or RESOURCE_ACQUISITIONS (memory_inuse_kb) where is_executing.

—Sharon
Sharon Cutter
Vertica Consultant, Zazz Technologies LLC

becky
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by becky » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Thanks, guys! Scutter, you said:
Idle sessions don’t use any memory
It has to consume some memory, right? What about the session meta-data? Like the data (i.e. last_statement) in the sessions table itself. Doesn't that consume memory? If you multiply that small amount of memory usage by 100's of inactive sessions, I wonder if this can become an issue? Just curious.

I'm trying figure out how to make the Tableau server release connections to Vertica even after logging out of a workbook. Note that this isn't an issue with Vertica :lol:
THANKS - BECKSTER

Return to “New to Vertica Database Administration”