How do I copy sequences to a new DB?

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

Brett
Beginner
Beginner

How do I copy sequences to a new DB?

Post by Brett » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Hi,

How can I copy sequences from one db to another so that they maintain the current values from the original db. If I go the export_objects route, it does not retain the current value of the sequence.

Thank you.

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I copy sequences to a new DB?

Post by JimKnicely » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Brett,

Once you create the sequences in the new location, you can do something like the following...

Code: Select all

/opt/vertica/bin/vsql -Atc "select 'select ''ALTER SEQUENCE ' || sequence_schema || '.' || sequence_name || ' RESTART WITH '' || NVL((SELECT MAX(' || column_name || ') + 1 FROM ' || table_schema || '.' || table_name || '), 1) || '';'';' from sequences join primary_keys on table_schema = sequence_schema and table_name = replace(sequence_name, '_seq', '') where sequence_schema = '?';" | vsql -At | vsql
Replace the ? with the schema name that contains the sequences you want to alter.

Note: The example assumes that you've created primary keys for the sequence column. You might have to modify the script a bit otherwise.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “New to Vertica Database Administration”