Comments on table columns

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

Brett
Beginner
Beginner

Comments on table columns

Post by Brett » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:39 am

Howdy!

I am new to to the forums. Please be gentle. Can I add comments to table columns? I see in the docs we can add comments to projection columns but I want a high level comment, just on the table. Is that possible? I have to say, I'm not completely sure I understand what projections are. I'm coming from a MySQL database background.

Again, please be gentle, I'm a newbie :)

nnani
Master
Master

Re: Comments on table columns

Post by nnani » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Brett

Welcome to Vertica Forums ! :)

For now, Vertica allows you to add comments on column level in projection and not tables.
So it is possible that two different projection referring a table will have different comments on same column.

If you follow a standard for comments on column on every projection for a table .i.e.
Let say you have table A with 5 3 columns
Table A has two projections A1 and A2 each with 3 columns, then you have to make sure the comments added to each column in both projection are exactly same.

This way you can achieve high level comment.
I'm not completely sure I understand what projections
In short, Projections are nothing but materialized views

For more information on achieving a high level look on comments you can refer the below post.
I am sure after going through it, your doubts will be cleared
http://www.vertica-forums.com/viewtopic ... ents#p1702

Hope this helps.. :)
nnani........
Long way to go

You can check out my blogs at vertica-howto

Brett
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Comments on table columns

Post by Brett » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:18 am

nnani, thank you for getting back to me. So for self-documenting purposes myself I need to comment every projection column. I suppose that makes sense, but it's hard to automate. It was easier in Oracle. Maybe Vertica needs to look into inheriting comments from the tables?

Return to “New to Vertica Database Administration”