Vertica Log File

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

usli06
Intermediate
Intermediate

Vertica Log File

Post by usli06 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:20 am

Can you pls let me know where I can find the Vertica log file that is synonymous with Oracle alert log?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vertica Log File

Post by JimKnicely » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi,

The log file in vertica is called vertica.log. It is located on the server in the directory defined as /catalog-path/database-name/node-name_catalog.

You can verify the location of your log file via the admintools utility. Go to the Configuration Menu/View Database menu selection and then choose your database. After clicking "ok" you'll see your node's log file listed after the "Database Log" caption.

Alternatively, you can query the disk_storage system table to get the general path for the log file:

Code: Select all

dbadmin=> select storage_usage, storage_path from disk_storage where storage_usage = 'CATALOG';
 storage_usage |                          storage_path
---------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
 CATALOG       | /usr/local/data/intersect/v_intersect_node0001_catalog/Catalog
 CATALOG       | /usr/local/data/intersect/v_intersect_node0002_catalog/Catalog
 CATALOG       | /usr/local/data/intersect/v_intersect_node0003_catalog/Catalog
(3 rows)
You're log file will be located in directory returned from the storage_path column, minus the "Catalog" directory... So in my example, the log file is /usr/local/data/intersect/v_intersect_node0001_catalog/vertica.log.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “New to Vertica Database Administration”