Generic Field seprator for ASCII/UNICODE

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

Minister

Generic Field seprator for ASCII/UNICODE

Post by Minister » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:59 pm

I have multiple tables to be copied over from Oracle database to Vertica database, some of them have the UNICODE chars.
When I do it by dumping a data file (csv like file) and use LCOPY command later on to load this file I do get issues when some UNICODE chars are in the data file. Data file is not fixed length.
Do you have any suggestions on a generic field and record separator which will be applicable in all of the cases, even when UNICODE data is loaded?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Generic Field seprator for ASCII/UNICODE

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Minister,

When you say that you are having "issues" when there is UNICODE in your data what exactly are the issues? Do you get errors? The "Checking Data Format Before or After Loading" section of the Administrator's Guide might be of assistance to you.

It states:
Vertica expects all loaded data files to be in the Unicode UTF-8 format. You can load ASCII data which is UTF-8 compatible. Character sets like ISO 8859 (Latin 1) are incompatible with UTF-8 and are not supported.
It goes on to explain how to convert the your files.

Also, check out the "StandardConformingStrings" parameter if you are having issues with the back slash.

Thanks
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “Vertica Data Load”