Jobs hitting Vertica server

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

mbalajiwale

Jobs hitting Vertica server

Post by mbalajiwale » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 am

Is there any way to see what jobs/queries are running in Vertica? We have Vertica community edition, where and how can I see what all jobs are hitting the server?

The reason I am asking this is- we are doing load testing on Vertica db and MSTR reports pointing on Vertica (tool - JMeter)
Error rate we are getting when we run test on DB directly is much much more than what we get when we run same test from MSTR web. Ideally it should not happen and both results should be same or with with very minute difference depending on current n/w availability. But we are getting huge difference and hence not able to figure out that whether the report which is executing is hitting the DB server or not.

Please respond and let me know incase more details are required on the same.

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jobs hitting Vertica server

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:22 pm

You can find queries running against your database in the SESSIONS table.

You can use the following query, for instance, to find all sessions currently running some sort of activity:

select * from sessions where current_statement <> '';
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

id10t
GURU
GURU

Post by id10t » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi!

Or :

Code: Select all

SELECT query FROM QUERY_PROFILES WHERE IS_EXECUTING;

mbalajiwale

Post by mbalajiwale » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks...yes I am able to see the queries hitting database.
But when I execute any MicroStrategy report from web which is pointing to the Vertica database then I do not see it's entry in the QUERY_PROFILES table. Where does this is recorded?

zvika
Beginner
Beginner

Post by zvika » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:32 pm

mbalajiwale wrote:Thanks...yes I am able to see the queries hitting database.
But when I execute any MicroStrategy report from web which is pointing to the Vertica database then I do not see it's entry in the QUERY_PROFILES table. Where does this is recorded?

Query profiles will include only the active transaction Unless you enable tracing at query or ee level .
if you do, the query profile table will have all transaction even when they already finished .

p.s

in version 5.1 i see some strange things if you leave tracing for long time ....

Zvika

mbalajiwale

Post by mbalajiwale » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info :)

1 more thing...is there any way to clear all records from Query_Profiles? Seems it is a view and issue is I am not able to see it in object explorer in SQuirrel (I am connecting to Vertica from SQuirrel).

Thanks in advance!

mbalajiwale

Post by mbalajiwale » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Hey...Unable to see queries by MSTR even after the execution completes. I have enabled the trace using following query:

SELECT enable_profiling('EE')

Is there any other setting which we need to do to see queries trigerred from MSTR web in Query_Profiles?

Also...please let us know if there is a way to clear Query_Profiles.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Vertica SQL”