Will admintools be phased out in favor of MC?

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Will admintools be phased out in favor of MC?

Post by JimKnicely » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi all,

I heard a rumor through the grapevine that Vertica maybe phasing out the admintools command line utility in favor of Management Console? I'm not sure why they would do that.

Can someone shed some light on this odd news?

Thanks!
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

nnani
Master
Master

Re: Will admintools be phased out in favor of MC?

Post by nnani » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:21 am

Hi,

I don't think this is a good idea at all.
The admintools are for everybody on Community edition and MC is for only Enterprise Edition.
Moreover Getting MC for administering Vertica would also result in increasing TOC for the Customers as it needs a different server and cannot reside on the Vertica Cluster.
nnani........
Long way to go

You can check out my blogs at vertica-howto

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Will admintools be phased out in favor of MC?

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks, nnani!

I personally don't think they'll ever get rid of admintools, but here's what Chuck Bear, an employee of Vertica, said:
Thanks for a good question. First I have to invoke the standard disclaimers about not committing to a roadmap here. (So that's that then.)

There are two things you could mean. The first is the admin tools invocations from the command line, which can be used in scripts and other batch processes. These are here to stay for the foreseeable future, as there is no proposed suitable replacement.

The other is the replacement of the dialog-based menu driven admin tools, which run in a shell window but are interactive. Replacing these with the MC is indeed a twinkle in the eye because we don't want to maintain two overlapping systems, but it won't happen any time soon (not this year, for example). We are well aware that, to make this migration plausible:
1. The MC has to reach feature parity with admin tools. It is still short on DBD, for one thing.
2. The MC has to achieve adoption. We are, soon, removing the need for additional hardware to use the MC. So anyone with a browser should be able to enjoy the benefits of MC. But if these efforts still do not result in good adoption, we certainly won't be able to eliminate the admin tools in favor of MC.

So it could happen any time between two years from now, or never at all, depending on how well this approach would meet customer needs at that point.

Hope this helps.
He replied to a question a posted on the new Vertica Community Site! Thanks, Chuck Bear! That's a cool name, btw...

Check out my post here:

https://community.vertica.com/vertica/t ... phased_out
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “Vertica Management Console”