Connecting to Database through Management Console

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

honkytonk

Connecting to Database through Management Console

Post by honkytonk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to my database through the Management Console (DB and console at version 6.1) where it asks for a username and password. It's just a test database I'm trying to hook up and there's only one user, dbadmin. However when I put its credentials in it says wrong username or password. I've changed the password, dropped and recreated the database but still it cannot connect. Should I be entering some other credentials here? Very new to this.

Thanks,
Mark

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Connecting to Database through Management Console

Post by JimKnicely » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi,

I believe you have to enter the "MC username and password" and not the database user name and password.

Who installed MC? When they did there should have been some set up config. screens that asked what to make the MC username and password.

Thanks.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

honkytonk

Post by honkytonk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:30 am

Hi,

Thanks for reply. By the MC username and password, do you mean the credentials I use to log into MC with? I tried those but no luck. Or is there another set of credentials also?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Yeah, the ones you would use to log in to MC. Those credentials are different than the dbadmin account on the database itself.

Have you ever successfully logged in to MC?
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

honkytonk

Post by honkytonk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Yeah I can log in fine and navigate around. I can add the cluster OK, and get the graphics showing me all the nodes etc. The database gets discovered fine also and asks me to enter the credentials... but neither dbadmin or the MC details work.

I thought it may have been something to do with communication between the host the console is installed on and the cluster nodes - but that appears to all check out fine. I can ping ok, I can login via vsql using dbadmin from the console host to each cluster host fine.

Return to “Vertica Management Console”