Why vertica-forums.com?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why vertica-forums.com?

Post by JimKnicely » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Hello,

For most of my career I have been an Oracle DBA and Developer. I was introduced to Vertica in May of 2011 when I accepted a new position. As an Oracle DBA I was naturally biased to Oracle's data warehouse solutions, so I was reluctant at first to even consider an alternative. However, I'm happy to report that after exploring and experiencing the "Vertica Advantage" I've become a convert and migrated to the dark side (so my Oracle DBA friends tell me). But in my defense Vertica is a very impressive database! From what I've seen so far, the marketing hype is actually true.

However, there is always a steep learning curve when working with a new technology. Although Vertica's documentation and support are spectacular, an invaluable resource I had when learning about the Oracle database were the online Oracle forums websites. In my opinion the best forums were the ones run by the folks working directly with the product not as a product owner but as an end product user (either DBA or Developer). I felt more connected to them then I did with any sales representative or with some random tech support guy I would only converse with once. Since I could not find any current Vertica user forums, I decided to create vertica-forums.com.

With that being said, please feel at ease and post any Vertica related questions, answer any posted questions yourself, and make some comments to share your experiences!

Everyone should feel welcome as we build our Vertica community together!

Thanks!

P.S. Please be warned that this is not an official Vertica site. Members of vertica-forums.com will typically be learning right along side of you. Please assess the validity of all recommended changes, modifications and solutions offered by any member of vertica-forums.com in a safe test environment before applying them to a production system!

UPDATE 07/20/2012: The purpose of the ads on http://vertica-forums.com is to help offset the cost of paying the company that hosts the site. I'm not generating any revenue for myself. That's certainly not the purpose or reason why I created our community :) Have fun and help others to learn Vertica!
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “Welcome to vertica-forums.com!”