Concept of cluster in Vertica

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

verticanewbee

Concept of cluster in Vertica

Post by verticanewbee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi All
I am very new to vertica, so trying to compare it with other DBMS. Mostly this question would be in comparison to HADOOP and Vertica.What exactly is a cluster in Vertica? Is it logical or Physical?
(i.e. is it limited to physical arrangement or cluster can be formed across different physical located disks? 1 rack equals 1 cluster, or can multiple racks / multiple data centers contribute to a single cluster? )

Please, guys, even if this might be a silly question, do help me out in understanding the concept.
Thanks in Advance.

-------------------------------------
Eldiablo

nnani
Master
Master

Re: Concept of cluster in Vertica

Post by nnani » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:00 am

Hello,

As far as I know,

Cluster in Vertica is similar to that of any distributed computing database (MPP).
It is physical and linearly scalable, that means you can add any number of nodes to the Vertica Cluster.
A cluster is formed by collection of nodes, and a node is the host which can run an instance of Vertica. Every node has it own computing power, its own cores, its own CPU, Its own RAM and its own Storage.
Vertica recommends atleast 4 nodes to form a cluster.
It completely depends on the way you install Vertica, You can do all the pre requisites on the participating nodes and then try to create a cluster at time of installation. All the nodes have to share the same network. Most of the times we use the private IP addresses allocated to nodes
Even If it is more then one rack.

I am not sure about the Multiple data centers thing :?
nnani........
Long way to go

You can check out my blogs at vertica-howto

Return to “Vertica Database Development”