Database-to-Hadoop Connectors

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

benty

Database-to-Hadoop Connectors

Post by benty » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:39 am

Hi,Before Hadoop, every Big Data vendor that matters (both in the relational database space and in the Hadoop space) has advocated for a two system approach to processing Big Data — Hadoop for the unstructured data and relational databases for the structured data, with a connector between them, shipping data back and forth over a network connection.

The Connectors between databases and Hadoop are entirely the wrong way to think about scalable data processing of enterprise data. Even the upgraded connectors that have been announced in recent months by database and Hadoop vendors (e.g. making a connector “transactional”, or leveraging projects like HCatalog to make the connector more intelligent at the end points) are counterproductive and only serve to propagate a data processing design that is a fundamentally poor long term strategy for an organization. A super-charged connector is still a connector, and that’s the wrong architectural choice moving forward.

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Re: Database-to-Hadoop Connectors

Post by NorbertKrupa » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 pm

Is there a question here, is this meant as a discussion, or is this an advertisement?
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Database-to-Hadoop Connectors

Post by JimKnicely » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:54 pm

Sounds like an advertisement to me...
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “Hadoop Connector”