Hyper threading BIOS setting?

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

fsalvelt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Hyper threading BIOS setting?

Post by fsalvelt » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:38 pm

Howdy,

Is it recommended to enable/disable hyper threading in the BIOS of each Vertica node?

Just curious...
Thank, Fred

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hyper threading BIOS setting?

Post by JimKnicely » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:33 pm

FYI ... I asked a colleague about HT and this is what he said:
I usually tell clients that it depends. Anecdotal evidence suggests that heavy loads benefit from having h/t turned on, and lots of small queries tend to benefit from having h/t turned off. I think there are other factors to consider with the various hardware architectures, etc.

Ultimately, what I tell clients who are really interested in this is to implement it, test it, and then let us know the result. The ultimate answer to this question is to try it and see how it works. We can't possibly say, with any certainty, that one way or the other is going to be better for them. There are just way too many factors to consider.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

id10t
GURU
GURU

Re: Hyper threading BIOS setting?

Post by id10t » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:16 am

Hi.

In general recommended HT system(it depends on your needs), but you need to understand what is HT vs "not HT"(or ST - single threaded).
---
Vertica is optimized for HT (but sometimes ST will give you a better performance).
Vertica will response better if you have a lot of simple and small queries on ST and not on HT systems.
---

PS:
No silver bullet for your question - it's depends on data structure and on your query's structure.

PPS:
99.9% - u need HT system.

Return to “Vertica Database Administration”