AWS Vertica Pre-build Instance

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

adrian.oprea
Intermediate
Intermediate

AWS Vertica Pre-build Instance

Post by adrian.oprea » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:10 pm

Hy everybody,
I was working on project building Vertica cluster on AWS and now my project is complete.
For any of you who wanna try Vertica on AWS i have create an AMI called "Vertica-7.1.2-CE-AMI" with an AMI-ID:"ami-53911c4e" and made it public, it is in sa-east-1b(Sao Paolo/Americas) avalability zone
The user and password to log into the instance is root:vertica.
The instance runs on top of a m3.medium instance. 1 CPU's /3.75 RAM.(is as low as i could get when running a Free AWS account)is about 0.07 cents an hour.
You can alter the image once you put it on your instance as you like or even use it wit ha larger instance type.
  • To create a database just run the alias called create_db logged as dbadmin.
    To start the db run the alias start_db.
    To stop the db run the alias stop_db.
    To drop the db run the alias stop_db followed by drop_db.
Have fun with it and if you guys have any question i will be happy to help, and also the community admin here are quite experts on the matter.
ohh another thing ! HP Vertica provides AWS images as well but they run on top of huge instances that makes them a bit out the reach of mear mortals.
trying so hard !!!

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Re: AWS Vertica Pre-build Instance

Post by NorbertKrupa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:02 pm

adrian.oprea wrote:Hy everybody,
I was working on project building Vertica cluster on AWS and now my project is complete.
For any of you who wanna try Vertica on AWS i have create an AMI called "Vertica-7.1.2-CE-AMI" with an AMI-ID:"ami-53911c4e" and made it public, it is in sa-east-1b(Sao Paolo/Americas) avalability zone
The user and password to log into the instance is root:vertica.
The instance runs on top of a m3.medium instance. 1 CPU's /3.75 RAM.(is as low as i could get when running a Free AWS account)is about 0.07 cents an hour.
You can alter the image once you put it on your instance as you like or even use it wit ha larger instance type.
  • To create a database just run the alias called create_db logged as dbadmin.
    To start the db run the alias start_db.
    To stop the db run the alias stop_db.
    To drop the db run the alias stop_db followed by drop_db.
Have fun with it and if you guys have any question i will be happy to help, and also the community admin here are quite experts on the matter.
ohh another thing ! HP Vertica provides AWS images as well but they run on top of huge instances that makes them a bit out the reach of mear mortals.
Nice! Are these for sandbox? Did you measure I/O, network, CPU perf?
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

adrian.oprea
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: AWS Vertica Pre-build Instance

Post by adrian.oprea » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:03 pm

Not really because all this I/O, network, CPU perf stuff will depend on your AWS region choice , storage type choice , instance type choice.
I find AWS great at what their are doing but you really need to understand their services in order to get a better deal for you paid money.
I would not choose them for a 24/7/365 environment, and if you do make sure you get a good deal on the reserved instances.
I normally use AWS for once a month report where i can stack-up 20-30 instances and run a crazy process, i pay around 20-30$(for a 2-3 hours work) and i make sure my production environment will not get pounded by extra work.
Sure you need to take in consideration the space usage or the snapshots for the instances(but if played smart you only need one AMI and the rest is scripted(OpsWork is the key)).
I will try to put some more details on how i make the S3 storage buckets available for the nodes on boot and also how you can setup load based cluster increase.
But i think is ideal that anybody can use this AMI to get started with their Vertica learning.
trying so hard !!!

Return to “Vertica Database Administration”