Vertica Database Baseline

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Re: Vertica Database Baseline

Post by NorbertKrupa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:42 pm

doug_harmon wrote:I've created a SQL Script to capture what is in the v_monitor.query_requests table, which keeps a rolling history of queries and their run times. Since this table keeps a rolling history, it needs to be backed up to another history table for long term storage on a regular basis.
An excellent solution. Just a quick note that storing this data will count against the license.
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

adrian.oprea
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by adrian.oprea » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:47 pm

scutter wrote:MC performs poorly enough without adding all that extra retention on DC tables ;-)

> I haven't seen much interest in historical performance

As someone who troubleshoots and tunes clusters on a daily basis, having history is key. All sorts of history.

—Sharon
That is so true, in most of the cases this is where you prove your service and also keep count of your actual performance.
trying so hard !!!

adrian.oprea
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by adrian.oprea » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:36 pm

I've created a SQL Script to capture what is in the v_monitor.query_requests table, which keeps a rolling history of queries and their run times. Since this table keeps a rolling history, it needs to be backed up to another history table for long term storage on a regular basis.
Great solution !

What about if i store then in external tables ? Would it buildup on my licence ?
Like Daniel Leybovich recommended i would not store the data in Vertica and also will not waste resources from Vertica cluster to analysis on top of this data. I would put it into an external table and then loaded it into an open source rdbms(MySQL,Postgres).
trying so hard !!!

Return to “Vertica Database Administration”