One node cluster & balancer with VIP

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

AnthonyWalkerHP

One node cluster & balancer with VIP

Post by AnthonyWalkerHP » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:08 pm

I have a need to create a single node vertica cluster with a Virtual IP Address. The VIP implies use of the Load Balancer which usually requires at least two nodes (Master & Slave). It appears that it is possible for me to configure this. Just checking to see if anyone can foresee and issue.

My reason is to create this minimal setup out of the box. But allow it to be easily expanded to multi-node clusters etc. w/o disrupting clients that are already using the VIP.

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Re: One node cluster & balancer with VIP

Post by NorbertKrupa » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:03 am

What version of Vertica are you using?
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

AnthonyWalkerHP

Post by AnthonyWalkerHP » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm using vertica version 6.1.3. And in case it wasn't clear from the original posting. I want to use the VIP in a single node load balancer configuration. Just the Master.

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Post by NorbertKrupa » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:18 pm

As far I as I know, a minimum of two nodes is required as it requires at least two nodes to configure master/slave. If you're on a single node now, I would avoid using a load balancer, but use that IP as the master when scaling in the future. Vertica uses IPVS in 6.1, which can be configured after initial setup.

From the documentation:
Although a 0 K-safety (two-node) design is supported, HP strongly recommends that you create the load-balancing network using a minimum three‑node cluster with K-safety set to 1. This way if one node fails, the database stays up. See Designing for K-Safety for details.
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

Return to “Vertica Database Administration”