ODBC connection overhead

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

abeeshdreams

ODBC connection overhead

Post by abeeshdreams » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:52 am

We are using datastage 8.7 and Vertica 6.0 and ODBC 3.5 driver to connect to Vertica. We had excellent query performance when we were initially using dbadmin as user. But when we switched to another user with all the required privileges it takes a ton of time to connect and generate Insert/Update statements. Once the statements were generated the load is pretty fast. When we test the same with dbadmin the overhead time for connecting to Vertica and generating Insert/Update statements is not there. Anyone familiar with this kind of issue?
Abeeshdreams

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ODBC connection overhead

Post by JimKnicely » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi,

Maybe the user has different setting for the resource pools? What are the resource limits for the user?

Code: Select all

select user_name, is_super_user, resource_pool, memory_cap_kb, temp_space_cap_kb, run_time_cap
  from users
 where user_name = '<<your user name>>';
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

abeeshdreams

Post by abeeshdreams » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:25 am

Have checked for the resource pool setting. Its the same as that of "dbadmin" except for 'is super user'

user_name | is_super_user| resource_pool| memory_cap_kb | temp_space_cap_kb| run_time_cap
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
user1 | FALSE | general | unlimited | unlimited | unlimited

Heard its a known issue with vertica 6.0 and have been rectified in v 6.1.
Any info about this?
Abeeshdreams

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:55 pm

The only mention of ODBC fixes in the 6.1 documentation are these:

VER-23629 Client Drivers - ODBC
  • When using the TIMESTAMP parameter with the pyodbc driver, Vertica dropped the second fraction portion of the timestamp. This issue has been resolved.
VER-21693Client Drivers –ODBC, Client Drivers - VSQL
  • SSL is now supported for ODBC clients on Windows.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

Return to “ODBC”