Cognos Data Size vs. Vertica Table Column Data Type Size

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cognos Data Size vs. Vertica Table Column Data Type Size

Post by JimKnicely » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi,

We have a column defined in a Vertica table as numeric(12, 5). In this column we can store numbers as large as 9999999.99999. When we query the column in Cognos using the "auto sum" feature we get an error (see attachment). Cognos is apparently sizing the field to display the sum based the table's data type's precision and scale which is too small to hold the sum's larger size. Our solution was to re-size the column making it bigger (i.e. numeric(25, 5)). It worked, but oddly, we do not have the same issue when querying a MySQL database column defined as decimal(12, 5). Is MySQL better? Ha hah, just kidding.

Does any one know of a better solution? Perhaps a Cognos setting? Otherwise, I have to re-size a lot of numeric columns in our Vertica database!

Thanks
Attachments
cognos-error.png
This is the error(s) message we received...
cognos-error.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 19363 times
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

the6campbells

Re: Cognos Data Size vs. Vertica Table Column Data Type Size

Post by the6campbells » Thu May 24, 2012 1:16 am

Given the absence of any exception message from the Vertica ODBC driver in the exception you show, it suggests the expression error is local to query engine in the Report server running your scenario. You could attempt to review the Vertica ODBC API trace to confirm how it described the columns in the projection of the query in terms of type, precision and scale to confirm that was done correctly by the ODBC driver itself.

Return to “Cognos”