Vertica Upgrade v5.0.8 to v6.1

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

bacona

Vertica Upgrade v5.0.8 to v6.1

Post by bacona » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm

We’re planning the upgrade of our customers production DB, currently it is at v5.0.8, and we intend upgrading to v6.1. A couple of questions have arisen.

Does anyone have a list of known issues in 6.1?

Also, does anyone know what changes are made to files and directories on each node during upgrade? E.g. /opt/vertica/, catalog/data directories - we can find this out during our upgrade testing, but just wondering if anyone's already been through this process.

Does anyone have any statistics relating to how long the upgrade from 5 to 6 should take? i.e. are we talking seconds, minutes, hours? We have a 3 node cluster.
Andrew Bacon - HP ATP - Vertica Big Data Solutions V1 Certified

janice
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Vertica Upgrade v5.0.8 to v6.1

Post by janice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Hello,

I'd recommend following the upgrade paths as indicated in the docs! In your case, most likely:
  • Vertica 5.0 to 6.0
    Vertica 6.0 to 6.1
Each step can be completed in less than 15 minutes each...

You may be used to the old back up methods. From the docs:
With Release 5.1, Vertica introduced new backup scripts (vbr.py). With the introduction of the new scripts, the 5.0 backup and restore scripts are now obsolete. You can use this functionality in 5.1, but should make the effort to move to the 5.1 scripts. (You can still find documentation on the 5.0 scripts in the 5.1 documentation; however the topics are marked "Obsolete.")
I'm not aware of any directory changes following any of our upgrades.

Good luck!
Everyday is an adventure!

zvika
Beginner
Beginner

Post by zvika » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 am

janice wrote:Hello,

I'd recommend following the upgrade paths as indicated in the docs! In your case, most likely:
  • Vertica 5.0 to 6.0
    Vertica 6.0 to 6.1
Each step can be completed in less than 15 minutes each...

You may be used to the old back up methods. From the docs:
With Release 5.1, Vertica introduced new backup scripts (vbr.py). With the introduction of the new scripts, the 5.0 backup and restore scripts are now obsolete. You can use this functionality in 5.1, but should make the effort to move to the 5.1 scripts. (You can still find documentation on the 5.0 scripts in the 5.1 documentation; however the topics are marked "Obsolete.")
I'm not aware of any directory changes following any of our upgrades.

Good luck!

As Janice wrote,

The docs recommend upgrading first to 6 and then to 6.1.

Another thing that i saw was that from 5 to 6 i Run the install script, passing it the same parameters you passed to it the first time you installed
while from 6 to 6.1 i used the /opt/vertica/sbin/update_vertica scripts.

I'm not sure 100% that this is the way but i followed the documentation.

Zvika

bacona

Post by bacona » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Thanks for the replies, yes the 6.1 docs state that the upgrade path from v5.0 should go to 6.0 then 6.0 to 6.1.

15 minutes sounds good for upgrade duration.
Andrew Bacon - HP ATP - Vertica Big Data Solutions V1 Certified

Return to “Vertica Upgrade”