Upgrade from Vertica 6.1 to Vertica 7.0

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

sdorich

Upgrade from Vertica 6.1 to Vertica 7.0

Post by sdorich » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:47 am

So I was almost successful in upgrading to Vertica 7.0 today but got A LOT of FAILED processes. It seems like there may be an I/O scheduler problem but I checked the schedular file and it's set to deadline and noop (not sure if it has to be either one or the other). Specifically the schedular file reads: "noop anticipatory deadline [cfg]". However, it seems like even if I fix the I/O schedular problem there are many more errors. If anyone knows why I might be getting so many errors, please let me know! I'm pretty stuck - I am continuing to read more of the documentation that the failures directed me too but there's A LOT and as I've been told updating Vertica should be relatively simple, I'm sure my issue is something simple that I just need to know how to fix. Vertica 6.1 was running perfectly until I tried running Vertica's update_vertica script. I'll provide a screenshot of my failures, warning, etc. that I got. By the way, the screenshot I've attached includes only about a third of the problems I obtained.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
update_error.png
update_error.png (168 KiB) Viewed 21771 times

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade from Vertica 6.1 to Vertica 7.0

Post by JimKnicely » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:05 am

Hi,

I had several errors also. the Vertica 7 install script is a lot more comprehensive in it pre-install check up. You just need to fix the failures (marked with FAIL)

Make sure to read over the install doc for version 7... It'll explain how to fix the issues. It's here:

https://my.vertica.com/docs/7.0.x/PDF/H ... _Guide.pdf

Since you already fixed the scheduler issue, here are some suggestions for the failures I saw on your attachment:

For the Readahead size, these command should help you out...

/sbin/blockdev --setra 2048 /dev/sda1
echo '/sbin/blockdev --setra 2048 /dev/sda1' >> /etc/rc.local

/sbin/blockdev --setra 2048 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
echo '/sbin/blockdev --setra 2048 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00' >> /etc/rc.local

Although I am not sure about that LVM.

To get NTPD running use:

/sbin/service ntpd restart
/sbin/chkconfig ntpd on

For the swap space, you need at least 2 Gb. Google how to add swap space.

Here's a link I've used:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/how ... wap-space/
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

id10t
GURU
GURU

Post by id10t » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:17 am

Hi!

[DELETED]
Last edited by id10t on Fri May 08, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdorich

Post by sdorich » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:05 am

@knicely87 - Thanks for your response - it has helped. One thing about the swap space - did you actually use one of the methods from the link you posted
to make additional swap space due to Vertica's 2GB minimum? I tried method 1 and it wouldn't let me even add a primary nor an extended partition (b/c I already had 4 primary partitions). My real issue here is why can't I add an extended partition to add swap space.
Sorry - I have never run into this before so I'm kind of stuck on how to fix this issue. I'm not running Vertica in a production environment yet so
I know I don't need this amount of swap space. I tried using the --failure-threshold command in my update_vertica script but the update still failed.

I am going to attempt to follow method 2 from the website you posted (about adding swap space); however, I'm thinking that Vertica won't even
recognize the file I'll make unless "told" otherwise (somehow?). Anyway my insufficient swap space is my biggest fail now. Does anyone know a way
around this or do I need my environment to meet this pre-req no matter what?

Thanks again ahead of time!

sdorich

Post by sdorich » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:36 pm

Method 2 in http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/how ... wap-space/ works! I guess swap space is at the OS level implying that Vertica just "asks" OS "how much swap space is available on this system. To install Vertica, as long as this is greater than or equal to 2.00 GB, all is good!

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:58 pm

AWESOME!
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

NorbertKrupa
GURU
GURU

Post by NorbertKrupa » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:26 pm

This question may be too general; but how long should this upgrade take?
Checkout vertica.tips for more Vertica resources.

Return to “Vertica Upgrade”