Vertica 7 Installation

Moderator: NorbertKrupa

bmann

Vertica 7 Installation

Post by bmann » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 pm

Hello,

I am attempting to install vertica 7 across a 3-node cluster. I have placed the vertica rpms in the same directory for each node, and ran rpm -Uvh <vertica_7_rpm> on each as well. When I attempt to install Vertica across the cluster, however, it is saying:
RPM Check, the current version of Vertica cannot be upgraded.
Installation FAILED
Installation stopped before any changes could be made

Any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Vertica 7 Installation

Post by JimKnicely » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:18 am

Hi,

You only need to install the rpm on one of the nodes (i.e. node 1). During the install, Vertica will install the rpm on nodes 2 and 3. So I would uninstall the rpm on nodes 2 and 3 and start the install script again from node 1.
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

bmann

Post by bmann » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 am

I only ran rpm -Uvh for each Vertica 7 rpm on each node, and then ran the install_vertica script on one of the nodes in order to install across the cluster using:

-s host01,host02,host03 -r <vertica_rpm>

Are you saying that I only need to run rpm -Uvh on one of the nodes, and then run the install_vertica script on the same one?

JimKnicely
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimKnicely » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 am

Are you saying that I only need to run rpm -Uvh on one of the nodes, and then run the install_vertica script on the same one?
Yup! Vertica will then install the RPM on the other nodes for you. Imagine if you had a 1000 nodes. You wouldn't want to install the rpm manually on all of them ;)
Jim Knicely

Note: I work for Vertica. My views, opinions, and thoughts expressed here do not represent those of my employer.

bmann

Post by bmann » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:58 am

knicely87 wrote:
Yup! Vertica will then install the RPM on the other nodes for you. Imagine if you had a 1000 nodes. You wouldn't want to install the rpm manually on all of them ;)
That's great! Thank you for the help!

-Braz

Return to “Vertica Installation”